Blepharitis is a long term inflammation of the eyelids causing redness of the lids, eyelid crusting, flaking, itching eyes and red eyes.
It is one of the causes of dry eyes. The crusts and flakes prevent the oily liquid secreted from the lids flowing into the tears. This means the tears evaporate quickly from the eyes and make them feel dry and sore.
What can help to ease Blepharitis?
- Lid cleansers such as impregnated wipes, gels or solutions and mild lid massages (to clean the lid crusts and squeeze out any solid secretions that are clogged in the glands). We also stock a premium goggle that creates a soothing moist, heat environment around the eyes.
- Dry eye drops and gels for help selecting please see our choosing eye drops guide
- Omega 3 supplements to improve the quality of meibum
- Heat treatments such as eye masks and goggles can improve blepharitis by gently warming the oily liquid in the glands. This helps to release it and improve the quality of the tears. Many were developed by ophthalmologists and can be re-used hundreds of times. The eye bags are microwaveable and need to be used twice a day at the start of treatment. Some have removable, washable covers and temperature strips included and can be used as cool packs as well.
- The Eyegiene device uses disposable warm packs instead of microwave heat so is useful for travel or holidays. At the top of the range is the Blephasteam device which provides a moist and heat therapy. This dual action unblocks the meibomian glands, improves the tear quality, therefore improving symptoms, vision and comfort.